Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mac Memory Upgrade

Macbook Memory Upgrade

Because of the new memory requirements due to recent Leopard and software upgrades, I decided to upgrade my 1.5 year-old 13.3" Macbook from 500MB to 2GB memory. So I did my research and determined that I wanted to do dual-channel for maximum performance. This is not a core 2 duo processor, so the 3gb max does not apply.

To make a long story short, I ordered the PC 5400 RAM from Newegg and then attempted to install it. The Macbook would not turn back on. The Apple
memory upgrade support guide notes that a "no power" situation will result if the memory was not seated correctly. Ok, then. I decided to put the original memory back in and the Macbook would still not power-up. Not good. I decided to send the Macbook in for repair.

It appears that the motherboard shorted-out when I attempted to put the memory in, due to those stupid little memory levers not working correctly. Apparently, they are connected to the power. Out of warranty cost $285 to fix. I guess as a general rule it is best to upgrade while the machine is still under warranty.


The following comes from the Macbook Guide and is exactly what happened to me:

Note: If any of the following issues occur, see an Apple-authorized service technician to complete the memory card installation:

  • lever wobbles
  • lever offers no resistance
  • lever is stuck
  • lever does not return to starting position

iMac Memory Upgrade

I upgraded my iMac to dual channel 2gb and find that it runs much faster than the previous 1.5gb that was installed. During my research, I came across this info and highly recommend dual-channel 2gb for anyone running Parallels or other VM software.

No comments: