Monday, September 28, 2009

iPhone Cut & Paste Bug

I attended the Houston TechFest this weekend, and thought I would try something different with resume distribution. Since I am looking for a job, I wanted submit my resume to some of the vendors at the conference, but I didn't want to use a paper format to do so. The Univ. of Houston offers free wifi, so I collected business cards from a few contacts, and during the beginning of sessions I attended, used an iPod Touch to send my resume to the companies.

For the first email, I went into DocsToGo and sent my resume as an attachment. I then went into the Mail app. The entire email body (including the attachment) was copied, a new email message was created, and the original email body was pasted into the new email. The email was then sent. I continued pasting from the third email on.

I was amazed to see that the copy buffer was intact after turning-off the Touch's display and turning it back on some time later. I continued pasting the email body and attachment into new emails.

Later, I discovered (from the third email on) that attachments were not actually included in the emails. In the screenshot to the right, you can see attachments in the bottom 2 emails, but not in the top two.

The funny thing is, the mail app shows the attachment in the email detail. Touching any of the four emails in the list will show the exact, same detail. Touching the attachment on all four emails shows a quick-view of my resume.

Very odd behavior.

No comments: