Sunday, May 4, 2008

WDS with AirPort Express and OpenWrt Kamizake

WDS is known to cause performance hits on wireless networks.  As long as you are not using Time Capsule for network backups, 80211.g with WDS should be sufficient for most needs.  My current requirements are for sharing a 3 mbps Internet connection and streaming DVD-quality content to my Apple TV.  Under these conditions, WDS is performing great for me.

I am using a Linksys WRT54GS router with OpenWRT Kamikaze running in AP and WDS modes.  The Airport Express is an older model (not Wireless-N), but still connects to the router to extend my network.   I have the router in the first floor of a 2-story house, and the Airport Express in the upstairs bedroom, both providing ample wifi coverage to the entire house.

The linked article above provides good information on the detailed configurations required for the WDS connection.  Following are screenshots showing my settings.  First, the OpenWRT settings:

Next, setup AE to participate in the WDS network:


Lastly, provide the required WDS settings ("WDS Main" below should be the MAC address of the Wifi router connection).


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice thx.

I have the router tp-wr1043nd from tp-link.

i want to do the same thing.
First I need to install the openwrt firmware. Can you tell me if the
openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-universal.bin , is the right firmware?